Sunday, July 20, 2014

Summertime!

So we’re over halfway through the year already, I feel like I’m running out of time and I should have more marked off my list by now. :-/  Here’s a point in time update (16/43)

1.  Kiss the man I love at midnight on New Year’s Eve
2.  Pay off credit card debt ~ Work in progress
3.  Go Roller Skating ~ Sue and Olivia want to go sometime next week!
4.  Go bowling ~ Not sure why we haven’t gotten around to this yet…
5.  Play (and win) a game of pool
6.  Take a class

7.  Go to a museum ~ I know I already went to a museum, but wanted to make sure and mention this latest trip.   A friend of ours is an art teacher and one of his students had a showing at Gallerie Urbane in the Dallas Arts District.  I just wish I could have taken some pictures of these stuff that was on display….let’s just say “interesting”.  I’m glad we went!

8.  Be Intentional ~ Going strong! …and totally feeling blessed. =)

9.  Eat Healthy ~ I was doing so good this week, I had salad for lunch all week and even dinner one night, plus my green smoothies….then the weekend got here and BAM!

10.  Lose 15 pounds
11.  Try a new recipe

12.  Pie of the Month Club ~ We’ve had 2 savory dinner pies since my last post.  Our June savory pie was Caprese Pie, which was more like a quiche, but definitely makes the “make again” list.  Our July savory pie was Taco Pie, it really is kind of like a casserole in a pie plate.  It was pretty good, I’d probably make it again too.  Next week we’re having Peanut Butter Pie, stay tuned!

13.  Read 10 Books (11/10) ~ So I totally get to cross this one off the list already!  I only challenged myself to read 10 because it seemed doable.  I tend to go in spurts with reading, I’ll get into a groove and read pretty regularly for a while, but then I’ll get busy and not make time for it and may not pick up a book for months.  I was afraid if I did that, I may or may not finish a book a month so that’s why I didn’t say 12.  But I think with a challenge in front of me, and a task on the list not yet checked off, I was more motivated. 
Interestingly enough, both of the 2 books I read in the last few weeks were stories that started in the present and then kept flipping back an forth to the past to fill in the history and how we got to the present point in time.  One I enjoyed way more than the other.  The View From Here by Deborah McKinlay was kind of a slow start for me and the jumping around started kind of annoying me, but once I got into the story it was ok.  I rated it as 3-stars on my Good Reads.  Calico Joe by John Grisham I got into from the beginning.  First of all, I like his writing style and have read just about everything he’s written anyway, secondly it was about baseball!  Win-Win!  I gave this one 5-stars!  I picked up a couple of other books at the library yesterday, but haven’t started anything yet.  We’ll see how far I get this month…

14.  Go to the zoo
15.  Buy myself flowers ~ this is another one I really have no excuse for not doing yet…
16.  Run a 5K

17.  Escape for a Weekend Away ~ We took the kids up to Lake Hugo and rented a great cabin for a couple of nights.  We didn’t DO a whole lot while we were there, but it was very quiet and relaxing to just getaway.  We did spend one day fishing…or at least the kids did.  Jerry spent the day untangling lines and rebaiting hooks.  I read a book and watched. :P  Anyway, when I said I wanted to escape for a weekend, technically we went Mon-Wed and took 4 teenagers….so it really wasn’t quite what I had mind.  We had a lot of fun, but next time I hope to “escape”! LOL

View from our porch

Gone Fishin'


18.  Start scrapbooking again
19.  Dance in the rain
20.  Go horseback riding ~ Josh still owes me brownies…this would be an acceptable substitute (hint, hint)
21.  Add some charms to my bracelet ~ Two down but I want more, it’s only July
22.  See a play

23.  Complete a Challenge ~ So I mentioned the 30 Day Ab & Squat Challenge last month….I got through like day 11 and pittered out.  So I’m started over.  I’m currently on day 6 and right on schedule, no procrastinating this time.



24.  Declutter my office ~ I took one small step toward this…I moved my work laptop into a corner of my bedroom.  I also cleaned off the desk so I can actually use the “office” as something else in the near future, it won’t really be an office anymore.  I need to get someone to help me move some furniture.  It’s a work in progress.

25.  Follow a budget ~ So June totally killed my budget!  My hot water heater went out and my daughter had to have her gallbladder removed.  Plus even 2 days at the lake got expensive, plus next month my income will change a little, and not for the better.  I’m totally going to have to do a reset, I’m back at baby step 1. :’(

26.  Go to a concert
27.  Go to the State Fair

28.  Listen to my entire iTunes Library (3054/5907) ~ So moving my laptop out of the same room as the main computer is going to totally put a kink in my progress on this one.  Before I could sit here and listen during the day while I worked…I’ll have to figure out another schedule.  I’m currently listening to M songs, My Best Friends Girlfriend.  Oh I take that back, it’s now Mamma Mia by ABBA. ;-)

29.  Finish my Christmas Shopping by Thanksgiving

30.  Watch a sunrise with someone special ~ We tried to do this at the lake but it was cloudy.  We could tell it came up, we just couldn’t see anything other than a change in light.  The last day we were there I did watch a thunderstorm rolling in from across the lake.  Different kind of beauty, but beauty still the same…til it hit our side and washed us out!

31.  Go stargazing ~ I mentioned the clouds…

32.  Enjoy a romantic sunset ~ We did catch the sunset the first night we were there, we were in the process of getting the grill going to make dinner, but it was our own kind of romantic. <3 nbsp="" p="">



33.  Go to the horse races
34.  Go to the drag races
35.  Go to Germanfest
36.  Blog Regularly ~ So yeah it’s been a month, but I’m at least staying pretty current.
37.  Go to a Mavs game ~ Season starts in October
38.  Go to a Stars game ~ Season starts in October
39.  Go to a Cowboys game ~ Season starts in September / Preseason in August

40.  Go to a Rangers Game ~ Got in 2 more games over the last few weeks, although my team is really hurting this season.  I still love them and won’t give up or be a bandwagoner.  The games aren’t nearly as fun when we’re losing but I’ll still be there cheering them on!

Me, Matt & Nick (Rangers BEAT the Twins)

Captain

Me & my Boo


41.  Paint a new painting
42.  Go to an Air Show

43.  Try a new restaurant (9/12) ~ Tried a few new places.  One I had forgotten to list last month, the rest were new to me.  Maybe I eat out too often...


  • ·      Pie Five Pizza ~ I don’t know, does this really count as a restaurant?  It’s kind of like the equivalent of a “Subway” style pizza place.  You go through the line and tell them what you want on your little personal pizza.  We were on Fry Street and the staff was really nice and made a pretty darn good pizza actually!
  • ·      EatZi’s Market & Bakery ~ Jerry had been here before but I never had.  This place overwhelmed me a little bit.  It was kind of like a cafeteria where they had all the different stations set up whether you wanted something from the grill, salad bar, sandwiches, pasta station, pizza.  Then once you pick what what kind of meal you want, then there are all these choices once you get in a line about how and what you want on it.  Decisions, decisions!  It took me forever to get through there and pick something, I think Jerry was getting a little impatient with me because he was already starving, but in my defense he’d been there before and knew what he wanted!
  • ·      Babb Brothers BBQ and Blues ~ Austin and Sue had heard about this place and took us.  We’d heard they had great BBQ, but we really went for the band, so that was bonus.  It was pretty good, but honestly not any better than some other places we could go to closer to home.
  • ·      Gold Mine BBQ ~ This place we liked a LOT.  Again the BBQ wasn’t necessarily better than anybody else, but they make everything from scratch and that had some very creative entrees on the menu.  I think that was what impressed us the most.  Jerry had the 24K Sandwich, which was a sliced beef and sausage sandwich with shredded cheddar AND queso on it…good stuff!  I went with the BBQ Frito Pie, which was basically chopped brisket, baked beans, shredded cheese and BBQ sauce on fritos.  Yum!!  This place is kind of a hidden gem kind of place right off the square next to the Campus Theater, but it’s worth a visit.  I hope they make it.

Extras ~

As always, there’s a lot going on these days…

My niece turned one.  She’s a stinker!

Birthday Girl


We went to a Brew House in Ft. Worth called Martin HouseBrewing Company, with Austin and Sue.  Sue’s sister and brother-in-law joined us too.  We all decided we did not care for the stout, The Imperial Texan was OK, Gateway XPA was a little weak, I liked the Riverhouse best I think.  Good times =)

Sue

I think he likes me ;)

I got him to smile!


After the brew house and BBQ, the guys took us on a tour of their childhood stomping grounds in Oak Cliff.  We went through Kessler Park, drove by the Texas Theater (where Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested, and they went to movies as kids), stopped at Dude, Sweet Chocolate and cruised by their high school and the neighborhood they grew up in.

July 4th Parade & Fireworks

4th on the Square

Ooh! Ahhh!




No comments: