Saturday, December 6, 2014

Apple Cranberry Walnut Pie ~ November


This is a great fall harvest type pie.  It was full of flavor and fruity, nutty goodness.
Of course I didn't exactly measure all my fruits according to the original recipe, just dumped them in there, so I've adapted it for you here according to how I made it.  

It makes a really deep, thick slice of pie so cut skinny....or not!


Apple Cranberry Walnut Pie 



Apple Cranberry Walnut Pie

Ingredients
Original recipe makes 1 – deep 10 inch pie

1 cup fresh cranberries
2/3 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground allspice (I didn’t have allspice so I used ¼ tsp each of nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon)
2 1/4 lbs apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced (I used 3 each of granny smith and gala apples)
1 1/2 tablespoons brandy (I didn’t have brandy and substituted wine I had in the fridge)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 sleeves prepared refrigerator pie crust








Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Position oven rack in the bottom third of the oven.

In a medium bowl, toss together the cranberries, walnuts, sugar, flour and allspice. Mix in the apples, brandy and vanilla. Place bottom crust into pie pan so that it hangs over the edges. Pour filling into the crust and cover with top crust. Seal and flute the edges. Cut slits in the top using a small knife.



Bake in the preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, or until apples are tender and crust is golden.





No comments: