Sunday, April 27, 2014

Bumbleberry Pie!

Most of you have probably never heard of a "bumbleberry"....really there is no one such thing.  Bumbleberry is basically a mix of berries, it includes strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.  My dad use to go to Wisconsin every year to visit his family and they would make the rounds to the Amish stores, and they came across "Bumbleberry Jam."  They brought a jar back for the girls and I, and it was delicious.  It then became a special request, "Papa, pleeaasseee bring us back some bumbleberry jam!"

So I came across a recipe for "Bumbleberry" Pie and of COURSE we had to try it!

It was a huge hit, and it's especially good with some Homemade Vanilla Bluebell on top!!  I'm pretty sure Lauren and Jen each had like 3 pieces.  They've already requested this for Thanksgiving too, in place of pumpkin!

The recipe actually makes 2 pies, so I took one to a cookout and have special requests for the recipe.  I also went ahead and made a set for the Annual Dessert Auction for GracePointe Youth and between the 2, brought in $70 to help send some great kids to camp this summer.

I made a couple of adaptions, to make it more like the bumbleberry we know and love, the recipe below is exactly how I made it.  It's really a pretty easy recipe, other than the chopping, I think the hardest part is waiting for it to finish cooking!  So in honor of my dad and the girls, here is my Bumbleberry Pie.  I hope you try it out and enjoy it as much as we did!


Bumbleberry Pie


Makes 2 pies

INGREDIENTS:

3 refrigerated pie crusts. thawed to room temperature
4-5 small apples - peeled, cored and chopped (I used granny smith)
1 package fresh blackberries
1 package sliced fresh strawberries
1 package fresh blueberries
1 package fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups white sugar
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons tapioca pudding mix

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F .
2. Roll out 2 pie crusts portions and place in the bottom crusts in 2 pie pans. Set aside third crust.
3. In a large bowl, combine apples, berries, and lemon juice. Mix together 2 cups sugar, 2/3 cup flour, and tapioca; gently toss with fruit mixture until thoroughly mixed. Divide into 2 pastry lined pie pans. C
4. Roll out third pie crust and cut into ½ inch slices.  Lay slices over top of filled pie to make lattice; trim and crimp edges.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until filling is bubbly in center and top is golden brown.


Bumbleberry Pie

No comments: