Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pie ~ Month 1

So the Pie of the Month club seems to be pretty popular so far!  LOL  ...both at my house and with the people I've told.  I think everyone is waiting for an invite ;)

This month's dessert pie was Caramel Apple Pie.  This pie was pretty tasty, although it didn't really taste very cararmelly to me.  I think the caramel mostly soaked into the crust because I tasted it more there than in the filling.  It was still one we enjoyed ~ especially a la mode!

Sweet ~ Caramel Apple Pie




Ingredients (Makes 8 servings)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 tablespoon  Corn Starch
5 McIntosh or Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored 
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon rum OR imitation rum flavoring*
1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons prepared caramel sauce

1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter OR margarine



Directions
Mix sugar, pumpkin pie spice and corn starch in a large bowl. Cut apples into 1/4-inch thick slices and place in a separate bowl. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice and rum; add to dry ingredients. Stir to combine. Place in piecrust. Dot with 2 tablespoons of butter. Drizzle with caramel sauce.
Stir flour and brown sugar together in small bowl. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle evenly over top of pie.
Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 40 to 50 minutes, until golden brown. Delicious when served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

*NOTE: I didn't have any rum, so used extract, which I did have on hand.  However my "sous chef" read this off as 1 Tbsp so I used more than it called for.  I still didn't even really taste any rum flavor.  But one thing I did notice was that this pie didn't really have an "apple pie" scent while it was baking either.  I don't know if that's why, but it did taste like an apple pie, so still a success.

Enjoy and stay tuned!

February's Pies:
  • Savory ~ Chicken and Mushroom Pie
  • Sweet ~ Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie




___________________________________________________________

*Please follow to get updates and recipes :)

No comments: