Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pie of the Month

Right before Christmas a friend of mine posted on Facebook that they had been enrolled in a 'Pie of the Month' club as a gift.

I must have been hungry because I started googling that $h!t right away!  I mean…who doesn't like pie?!?

I found several that had their menus posted and one that did both a savory and a sweet club.  As it turns out those darn things are EXPENSIVE!!  I could make a buttload of pies for $300 plus.  It still sounded good though, so I just figured I'd do my own and invite folks over to share!   (Hence #12 on my list)

So I planned my pie menu for the year, I'm going to make one savory (dinner) pie a month and one sweet (dessert) pie a month.  What could be better than TWO pies a month!!

Also, since I challenged myself to try and blog regularly and not neglect anyone that decides I'm interesting enough to read, I decided to blog about it and share my recipes with you guys.  I'll make the savory pie one week and the other the next week.  Here goes…

I had picked a Green Chili Pie for January but then couldn't find a recipe for it.  There were a few casseroles, but nothing that actually looked like a pie.  So I adapted a recipe I already had for green chili chicken enchiladas.  It turned out really good.  I served it with spanish rice, beans and tortilla chips.

JANUARY:

Savory ~ Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Pie

Ingredients

4 chicken breasts, cooked/shredded
1 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened
2 cans chopped green chilis
12 oz shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 can green enchilada sauce
corn tortillas

Directions

Boil and shred chicken.  Mix cream cheese and soup until smooth.  Add green chilis and shredded chicken.

Cut tortillas into 2" strips.

In 10” pie plate,* layer the bottom and sides with tortilla strips.  Layer cream cheese / chicken mixture, shredded cheese and enchilada sauce on top.  Repeat layers of tortilla strips and fillings.*


Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.  Cool before serving.*

* Notes:  
  • I suggest using a deep dish pie plate, and maybe even putting a cookie sheet underneath, it bubbled over a bit and I didn't even use all of the 2nd can of sauce, but 1 wasn't enough.
  • I ended up with 3 pretty healthy layers
  • The longer you let it cool the better it will set and let you cut in slices.  My daughter was impatient so we only let it cool like 5 minutes, so it didn't really hold its shape well.  But when we went back for seconds it held together much better.


Follow me to join my Pie of the Month club with me, and let me know if you try any of them and if you and your family liked them. =)

Enjoy!



No comments: